20 more Boko Haram fighters, after 50 surrender in Niger

Around 20 more members of the jihadist group Boko Haram have surrendered in Niger, the government says. “About 50 Boko Haram fighters have now given themselves up” since December 27, Niger’s interior minister, Bazoum Mohamed, said in an interview broadcast late Wednesday on the state TV channel Tele Sahel.

The combatants surrendered at Diffa, in southeastern Niger, a Boko Haram stronghold close to the border with Nigeria, where 31 fighters turned themselves in at the end of last month. Mohamed attributed the success to a military squeeze on the group, launched in July, coordinated with security forces in Nigeria and Chad, where the group also operates. More surrenders will follow, he said, adding “in some sectors, the war (against Boko Haram) is already over.” But he warned that “organised Boko Haram elements are training” in the marshes of Lake Chad, a zone that straddles the three countries.
Read more at: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2017/01/20-boko-haram-fighters-50-surrender-niger/

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *